Lesson I - The Noble Path to Power [Notes + Recording]

notes

• Definition of power: personal agency to see through one’s creative plans in the world

• What Mitch is seeking… is power. Creative impulse in the individual is sacred. A birthright and innate to what makes us human. It’s unique to what makes us sentient beings.

• Napoleon Hill: “Infinite Mind.” Ralph Waldo Emerson: “Oversoul.” We’re a “concentric reflection” of that great intellect/nous.

• Human birthright is to reflect that great nous/intellect/Oversoul.

• Common spiritual teaching: You have to dissolve the lower self, the small ‘s’ self, so you can be diffused by the greater Self, the higher Self. This is the common spiritual teaching. Yet, the central core of being human is to be creative. To create.

• How do we resolve this tension? Self-annihilation vs. self-authorship/creation.

• Transcendence vs. immanence, non-identification vs. identification, lower self vs. higher self, etc.

• Price to be paid for insight/creativity is friction. Adam and Eve story.

• Ethics on the path to power: don’t deprive another human being of their highest potential.

• Frederick Douglass story. Stood up to brutal slave master Covey. And from that time forward, Covey was not as brutal to him again, and Douglass deeply affirmed within himself–he swore to himself–that he would make his physical escape at the first opportunity. Possible source: My Bondage and My Freedom. Mitch: it was an internal resolve in Douglass that changed the scales.

• Mitch: “My message to you is that you must escape hostility.”

• Incompetence could be translated as hostility, because it has the same effect as hostility. A “poisonous atmosphere.” “You’re either spiritually creative or you’re a trouble maker.”

• Bullies: feeling of incompletion gets compensated by false sense of life by pushing around other people. A kind of false power.

• Being able to separate yourself from hostile people is the first step towards stepping into power. Escape hostility. Read any memoir of Frederick Douglass.

• Ralph Waldo Emerson: “Power.”

• Emerson essay anthology, The Conduct of Life:
  • Mitch: “a believing historian.” Philosophies meant to be living, actionable consequential ideas.

• Emerson’s recipe for power: 1) concentration and 2) drilling. Concentration: focus of one’s energies on a very specific aim. Concentration produces force. True in nature. Oxygen, sulphur, water, rays of light (a laser), gravity. So too, Mitch says, in human affairs. Discussed in A Miracle of a Definite Chief Aim.

• It must be a deeply passionate aim or you will not stick with it. Emotions drive everything.

• On procrastination: this is the absence of passion or fear. If you choose a goal which you are passionate (burning, obsessive), you will have no problem driving towards it.

• Krishnamurti: “When we ask how, it might mean that we don’t really want to do it.”

• Drilling: Rehearsing. Running routines again and again. Becoming an expert at something. Musician practicing scales. Absolutely innate knowledge.

• Repeat continual action focused on one goal, one area, one aim. Almost like it’s an organic part of you.

• Concentration and drilling. That’s where power comes from nature and from the day to day affairs and striving of life.

• You will want to perform action over and over if you find your passion.

• 3) Comporting yourself in the world in terms of speech, dress, living situation exactly as you wish. Exactly as you want. Lisa from the Simpsons, “what really matters is what’s inside, so start with your look on the outside.” (A joke that holds an inner truth).

• Is there a true division between the inner and outer?

• Comport yourself as your wish. Douglass escaping slavery was an outward act, but also an inward one, and the outward act changes the interior life as well.

• Tone, speech, style of dress are acts of real self-assertion. Alternative culture might not validate or pay real close attention to. Experiment with this.

• Look around your living situation and ask yourself: what do I really want in this room? Are these things really my own choosing, or are they things that were chosen by somebody else. Spouses, peers, culture, etc. Do we need a bed, curtains, a TV? Really ask ourselves what we want in our environment. Nothing is too large or too small.

• Last exercise: We have two selves… A jittery/nervous self, and a self that’s standing clearly. The latter is our “Plus Entity” or “Plus Self.” “I would have X, if only…” This “if only” refers to a higher or more core being. Strong enough, and self-possessed enough that the intellect/emotions run in directions that are appropriate and response. This is not just a metaphor, daydream or fantasy. There is another self. “I don’t mean that quite figuratively.” This idea of twin selves runs through myth and literature. Castor and Pollux. Cain and Able. Jekyll And Hyde. Adam and Eve. We’re in pieces and need to unify.

• Challenge: invite in this higher self, plus entity, that is you. It’s pushed away from real difficulties in life, but nonetheless, actualizing this Plus Entity is your birthright. You’re entitled to realizing your Plus Self.

• In a ceremonial manner, invite in this Other Self. Speak out to it, out loud. Speak to it as a friend. “It is real, it is there, it is existent. I don’t mean that in a strictly figurative way.” We all believe that we harbor it. Invite this self in. Light a candle. Put yourself in a meditative, ritualistic. Invite You in, and persist! Because this is you.

• Discovering Your Other Self:

• The “no” is denying what is already yours. “It only takes one yes to get exactly what you want.” Go into this exercise persistently, speak aloud, don’t be embarrassed, and don’t tell anyone what you’re doing. It’s none of their business, anyway. :slight_smile: Verbally, in a meditative but assertive way, invite in your Plus Entity.

• The Black Arts by Richard Cavendish

Session I - The Noble Path to Power (Recording)

Thank you so much for putting this together, Jeremy. You seriously are the best note-taker. The BEST.

pinned #3